that was established according to the Neo-Prussian fortification principles
The first fortification facilities in the fort grounds date back to the late Swedish Era in the beginning of the 18th century. In 1720s, the Russian State established a fort with colossal mud ramparts. After the Napoleonic Wars in Europe in the 1810s, it was found that completely new fortification facilities need to be established in Tallinn.
On the site of the old Kalaranna fort, works for establishing a new fort commenced starting from 1820. Its main parts were bomb-proof stone chambers for powerful cannons.
In 1864, the fort was used as regular barracks and many outhouses were added in the campus.
Starting from 1920, a prison mainly known as the Central Prison operated in the fort. In Estonian history, the prison’s activity left an especially painful mark in the radical period of 1930s–1950s.
Starting from 1999, the two oldest parts of the complex have served as cultural monuments.
In the beginning of 2000s, the grandiose plan was completed to move the whole Estonian Academy of Arts to the Kalaranna fort complex
In early 1990s, the prison was intended to be moved out from this unsuitable complex. The prison was finally closed in 2005.
In 2010, the Estonian War Museum made the plan to turn the Kalaranna fort in a multifunctional centre that would have accommodated the War Museum, the Museum of Occupations, different museums on internal security and, naturally, a museum reflecting the fort and prison itself. In addition, the complex would have included hotels, offices, studios and eateries.